07 January 2009 ~ 9 Comments

I ALMOST deleted this response…from Tokyojesusfist!

Tokyojesusfist responded to my post, Retaliation Day, with the following remarks:

“She’s not a child so she should be held responsible for her acts and deeds.”

What acts and deeds would those be? Why should she be held “responsible” for avoiding you? She can avoid whomever she wants to and she has no obligation to be anywhere near you. For all you know she could have had bad prior experiences with foreigners or specifically black foreigners, and if she didn’t then she certainly does now (and no, you didn’t “teach her ass,” she had no idea you were on some righteous crusade against Oppression, she probably thought you were going to follow her home and rape her). I can just imagine the mental acrobatics you had to go through to make yourself believe that you were the wronged victim in this story. This for example:

He turns his whole body so that his back is squarely to me. I want to punch him in the back of his coiffed moussed head but that would be uncalled for, in Japan anyway. In NY, he probably would’ve gotten it already. He has really gotten under my skin.

I think it’s safe to say that you’re the one who would have gotten his ass kicked in NY, since you’re the one who was being inexplicably aggressive and violent and harrassing a woman. But at least in Japan you can rely on people not putting up a fight against the big scary black guy, which makes you a pussy. The guy who elbowed you had more balls than you ever will.

And I can’t be the opposite of what I am. What they fear in me can not be reversed. I will always be 6′0 (god willing) 90 kilos (unless I give up Macdonald’s entirely or pick up Haagen Daz again,) black (unless i pull a Micheal Jackson) and foreign (unless I pull a Jero). Whatever else they fear about me I give them ABSOLUTELY no reason to feel, thus they are beyond my control.

You just gave them every reason to fear you. You stalked and harrassed a woman (forcing your way through a crowd in the process) and then hit and threatened someone who tried to intervene. You’re part of the problem. You, and people like you, are the reason why black people are treated with fear or suspicion almost everywhere. The only thing an individual can do to change that is by not conforming to the stereotype, and when you’re in a foreign country you should be on your best behavior anyway. You keep insisting on this blog that you’re discriminated against in Japan just because you’re black, but I wonder if that’s all there is to it. Your behavior, as documented here, is consistently confrontational and creepy, and while you don’t seem to be aware of it there’s a good chance everyone else is. You’re probably “that guy,” and I wouldn’t be surprised if the woman in the subway started avoiding you because you were acting creepy without even realizing it.

The first time I read it I felt like I’d been hit with a glob of phlegm in my face from some anonymous person in a crowd. He’d struck a friggin nerve with his venom. It was a body blow from George Foreman (appropriate name he has Tokyojesusfist). But, as I absorbed his words I realized that if I’m going to be a serious writer then I gotta be able to roll with it, especially harsh criticism and people I don’t agree with.

Then I went to the hairy white prince’s rare treats (that’s the name of his blog) and laughed my ass off! This guy, though REALLY offensive and PC-free, is borderline genius! He spits fire like a space shuttle! So, I decided to showcase his criticism…and invite him to bring the noise anytime he so desires.

If you decide to check out his blog about Japan, be forewarned, the above remarks about my post are really soft in comparison to his assault on everything Japanese…complete with photos. I especially love the way he shows his meals on some posts. Like Japan is a spectator sport and he is its number one fan.

It’s a guilty pleasure reading it.

Thanks for sharing Tokyojesusfist and taking the time to eviscerate me (-:

9 Responses to “I ALMOST deleted this response…from Tokyojesusfist!”

1. tokyojesusfist 7 January 2009 at 5:51 pm Permalink

Well, I have to commend you for letting my comment go through, though I wasn't exactly expecting it to end up as a new post.

I won't be bothering your blog any further.

• Locohama 7 January 2009 at 6:01 pm Permalink

Thanks.
      And that's your call, dude. But I'm not being fecetious. You're comments are welcomed!

2. areason2write 7 January 2009 at 6:41 pm Permalink

I am really not sure why all of this made me laugh – but it did – this takes our previous conversations to a whole new level.

3. Locohama 7 January 2009 at 7:19 pm Permalink

Hey Reason2,
    I know how you feel. I can laugh too…now. (-:
    And it does take it somewhere else doesn't it?

4. Vin 7 January 2009 at 8:10 pm Permalink

When I first read your "Retaliation Day" post, I was laughing my ass off. I've traveled a bit in China and Indochina so I am aware of how they handle foreigners. Sometimes I wanted to fight back as well.

Then I forwarded that post to a female friend, an Asian-American, thinking she would also laugh her ass off. She read it and said your "retaliation" was bullsh!t and that that poor woman probably had to suffer gropers and sexual discrimination in her life, and here you come and harass her. It changed my whole view on the post because I finally saw it from a female point of view.

While I understand to some degree how you feel, and part of me still enjoys a retaliation against racist behavior, I gotta say Tokyojesusfist brings up some good points in his comments. Even though he was hardcore, there's still a lot of truth there.

• Locohama 7 January 2009 at 9:00 pm Permalink

Justin. I'm LMAO!!!!
      Vin, I feel you. You can tell your female friend I said, come on, if saying good morning to someone on the train is harassment then there's something wrong with that, isn't it? It's not like i grabbed her ass or boxed her ears. She was victimized by her own ignorance…not me. I'm only culpable because you guys know that I know that she was terrified. But she didn't know that I knew she was terrified and she didn't know that I was trying to get behind her. people switch lines all the time. hell, she did. She just didn't like that I was behind her. It's only harassment because i wasn't Japanese.
      But, again, I don't do that kind of thing anymore…

loco

5. justin 7 January 2009 at 8:22 pm Permalink

So now you know what all your readers have been thinking all along. Sometimes it just takes that long for someone to be honest. It's kind of like when your friend and his son come banging on your door and you take forever to answer, and when you finally do, with several minimized Firefox windows and the windows taskbar reads "Round and Wobbly" "Sloppy and Wet" straight across and finally it is only his 6 year old son that dares say "hey, why is there elmer's glue on your collar?" Ok ok kidding!, totally and absolutely kidding, but he did give us ALL something to think about, and that's why though I'm always making plans to be a dick and get revenge, I almost never seem to go through with them at the last moment—I always give the target a road out. Maybe 99 out of the 100 acting the same rotten way to me were guilty as charged, but maybe this one just so happens to be the 1 out of the 100 who got chased into a dark alley a night before by a guy who just so happens to look like me…

6. chris 27 May 2012 at 6:53 pm Permalink

His avatar is awesome. If he feels something bad about that than…It’s a joke. I don’t need any trouble with an articulate asshole. I have 4…yes 4 putting up sites just to hammer me. The war is underway like never before….and I’m suddenly more interested in swimming than war:(