07 January 2009 ~ 16 Comments

Some MORE things I just LOVE about Japan: The Food!

4-Natto’s not-so good- And I could live my entire life without another morsel of Goya touching my palate. But everything else, so far, is delicious!

Yes, I came for the adventure and stayed for the food.  I talked about the Japanese obsession with calling everything Japanese to distinguish it. Well, when it comes to food, it’s just about accurate. Their food is exceptional.

“Do Americans eat rice?” my co-worker asked me.

“Ah, well, I can’t speak for all Americans, but I do…”

“Do you like Japanese rice?”

The question used to irk me. Yes, I’ve eaten rice from other countries but…maybe it was just the Japanese tag. But, now, hell…I can see what they mean. They should be proud of their whconoverpriced rice. It’s the best rice I’ve ever tasted. Sorry Mom…but I could eat Japanese Rice for the rest of my life. If I ever go home,  I’ll be shopping at the Mitsuwa Japanese super market in New Jersey cause they import it. No more converted/parboiled rice for me please. Uncle Ben’s ain’t never going in my mouth again, if I can help it. (I don’t care if he is Chairmen of the Board now and him and Aunt Jemima done jumped the broom) (-:  My mother was loyal to her Uncle Ben’s. She served it up for us 3 or 4 times a week since i can remember. And, though occasionally dry, it was generally pretty good.

Then, one day, you come to Japan and you get your first taste of real Japanese rice. There’s no pomp and circumstance. No one says, “Brace yourself for the experience of a lifetime.” If you’re like me, you went to your girlfriend’s house for dinner with her family, and Okaa-san does it up right, with a whole lot of other dishes, and a rice cooker full of rice. She serves you up a heaping bowlful and you thank her and impress her with your use of Nihongo and chopsticks. Then you place a heaping pair of chopsticks-ful of this insipid looking rice into your mouth, and the milky, silky, hearty smoothness of it just takes your breath away. Thank goodness for Uncle Ben’s. It I hadn’t been weened on it I don’t think I could have fully appreciated the exceptional taste of Japanese Rice.

Oh, and ramen. Forgetuhboutit! I thought I knew ramen. It was so cheap…and perfect for the munchies (-;

“Do Americans eat Ramen?”

“Ah, well, I can’t speak for all Americans, but I do…”

“Do you like Japanese Ramen?”

You grumble. Then, if you’re like me, You stop at the local Ramen shop in the station which is always crowded so you figure it must be good or cheap or hopefully both. And when you enter you see Salarymen and Office Ladies sitting around a long counter slurping it down. And when you hear the slurps you cringe and think, “Now, my mother would slap me into next week if I pulled that shit at home.”

A cute waitress comes and kneels before you with a pad and asks for your order. You point 10-ramento the picture and say, “this please.” It’s the set: Shoyu (soy sauce) Ramen, gyouza (dumplings) and fried rice, and a namabiiru (regular beer).  It arrives a few minutes later and looks something like this. →

And nothing like this ↓

nissin-top-ramen

Which is what passed for ramen back in your neck of the woods. You know, that Nissin Top Ramen? Anyway, there’s half an egg, and seaweed, and bamboo, and a healthy slice of pork and some pink and white stuff made out of fish paste and you say, “Well, I’m here now!” So, you dig in. And then you taste it and you exclaim: Whoa Nelly! So THIS is Japanese Ramen? And then you try to slurp it like your neighbors but you burn your lips, tongue and any other part of your mouth that comes in contact with it. So, for a while, you pick it up with the chopsticks and blow like you did back home to cool food off. But, not for long, because you wound up stopping at that station Ramen shop at least once or twice a week  and eventually learn how to do the proper way: The Japanese way.

Honorable mentions: Okonomiyaki, Nikutofu, Yakiudon, and Yakisoba. I never had any of these in America but I’m sure if I did I would still like the Japanese version much better.

natto-spoonful

Nope, natto’s not-so good.  →

“Do Americans eat natto (fermented beans)?”

“Ah, well, I can’t speak for all Americans, but…oh hell yeah I think I can on this one, NO!”  (-:

And I could live my entire life without another morsel of Goya touching my palate…

But everything else: delicious!

16 Responses to “Some MORE things I just LOVE about Japan: The Food!”

1. areason2write 8 January 2009 at 10:45 am Permalink

I am frankly a little nervous about not having my comfort foods – I am a sad, sad creature of habit and I like what I like. We'll see how this goes – cross your chopsticks and wish me luck.

2. Zen 8 January 2009 at 11:48 am Permalink

Growing up in Philly, we had Uncle Ben's and Minute rice ( both suck). They made an ok rice pudding and a hot breakfast with butter and sugar. But I never had real rice until I live in Hawaii. once there I got hook on "real" rice and never looked back. The difference is like Dominos pizza( cardboard) and Round table ( oishi), or a real Philly Cheese steak ( Jim's in West Philly) and the poor imitations they serve elsewhere.

Nato, once you get past the smell is really ok to eat ( with spicy Mustard and green onions ). But I'm weird anyway. The best is the whole beans not the chopped. Goya is the bomb! :-)

and thanks for listing my blog site!

• Locohama 8 January 2009 at 8:27 pm Permalink

Hey Zen, thanks again for the shout! and you're welcome

Why should u eat something where you have to bury the taste? Like drinking medicine with chocolate milk…(-;
      and Goya is a bomb 8-;

3. Locohama 8 January 2009 at 6:31 pm Permalink

Reason2,
    Good Luck! I'm sure you'll be fine…I hope you like curry (-:

4. Zen 8 January 2009 at 10:36 pm Permalink

Hehehe, I took some magic mushrooms with chocolate milk to hide the taste…back in the day that is ;-)

Anyway the mustard & onions are to add to the taste not hide it.

5. Jack 12 January 2009 at 12:55 am Permalink

I'm pretty sure that the Koshi Hikari at Mitsuwa is from California

• Locohama 12 January 2009 at 5:14 am Permalink

Possibly, but their website says different. False advertising kana )-:

6. Aka Gaijin 13 January 2009 at 4:29 am Permalink

I burned several thousand dollars, and two weeks of vacation on a trip to Japan in 2007. When I returned to the states, I decided that I had to find a restaurant that served Japanese curry. After looking high and low, I was only able to find two places around DC. …and both used that 100 yen store crap.

That was a tough six months before I moved here. Now, I'm happy as a pig in poop. (^_^) Not sure what I'll do if my contract ever ends.

• Locohama 14 January 2009 at 6:31 pm Permalink

Thanks AKA-san, yeah you must be thrilled! But a pig in poop! Now there's an image I didn't need before lunch (-:

7. jturningpin 14 January 2009 at 4:54 pm Permalink

I'm with you on the ramen, Loco. Eating restaurant ramen here was the shock of a lifetime, and I am hooked. (Miso all the way for me, BTW.)

And I'll admit it — I like natto! Absolutely hated the stuff at first, but I spent a week's vacation in a hotel where they served the stuff every morning, and by day four or so I'd gotten to actually look forward to it. The package smells like the devil when you're done eating it though…

• Locohama 14 January 2009 at 6:23 pm Permalink

Miso ramen sugoi da ne!
      Demo, Natto ga chyo kimoi da yo…
      Smeels more like the devil's arse (-*
      Thanks for the shout JT

8. Luke 16 January 2009 at 7:06 pm Permalink

Last night my girlfriend had natto on her pasta in a Italian restaurant.
    I had tried it before and I remember how much I hated it so I tried it again last night…..
    FUCK! that's some intense shit.

• Locohama 16 January 2009 at 7:35 pm Permalink

To put it mildly …LMAO!
      Is your girlfriend Japanese?
      I guess every culture has some weird foodstuff, something another culture would trip over. Some Black folks (not me) eat pig intestines (called chitterlings)…they actually smell like a pig's endtrails left out in the summer heat for two days. Natto's smell is much less…well actually their comparable LOL.
      Thanks for the shout Luke san :-:

9. ItAintEazy 19 January 2009 at 12:47 pm Permalink

I swear, natto is what they invented because they got so tired of rice.

10. leon 21 July 2009 at 1:02 pm Permalink

and you forget the oden… I never got a chance (or spotted for that matter) an oden stand (well didn't get to spend winter either) anyways, I am speaking of the konbini type. Not bad, and with a varying assortment of pieces to choose from… and what better to finish with a nice cupfull of heartfilling soup. yet my top favorite is tako-wasabi xD