09 January 2009 ~ 23 Comments

And yet MORE things I LOVE about Japan: Service & Safety

5  & 6 – Service with a gleam and a song / Otherworldly Safe

When I first moved to Japan I lived in Musashi Urawa out in Saitama. It’s about 20 minutes from Tokyo on the notorious Saikyo Line.  The Ekimae (the area around the station) has a handful of of shops and restaurants…and as is the norm at virtually every station I’ve been to in and around Tokyo, there’s a Macdonald’s and a Starbuck’s. Can’t say I was the biggest fan of either back in NY, but I love both here. The Japanese Macdonald’s is different than the Macdonald’s back home. And, the familiarity of Starbuck’s is like finding water on Mars.

Until you go inside, that is.

First, you’re struck by the cleanliness. There’s a gleam to everything. And there’s at least 1 or 2 staff people cleaning at all times, tweaking the clean, like they do in Macdonald’s commercials but you never see it in real life.

There are two registers open with two pretty college girls, looking handpicked for counter appeal, taking orders, and three others in the prep area waiting diligently like very disciplined, well postured and well-paid maids in a castle somewhere. Very “Remains of the day” looking…only extremely cheery and Japanese.

You check out the menu…most of the usual suspects are there: all kinds of Lattes and Chai and whatnot. You peruse it trying not to be distracted by the patient, smiling, gorgeous co-ed standing before you. Then, you place your order: “Yeah, let me get uh grande Iced Caramel Macchiato please.” Then you remember you’re speaking English…Being in Starbuck’s just doesn’t feel like Japan. You get ready to repeat your order in your broken Japanese when the staff smiles and repeats your order. Then she sings it to the preparers, who are suddenly called into action, as they sing the order in response, and in unison…with prepubescent mickey mouse voices.  It’s the cutest thing you’ve ever heard…and kind of sexy, in my opinion. They are the happiest staff people you’ve ever seen.  You actually believe they are happy to serve you. You’ve never felt that about the staff anywhere that didn’t stand to make a sweet commission off of your purchase. You don’t know it yet but it’s a routine you’re going to be enjoying on a daily basis, with the same consistent cheer, at Starbuck’s and the vast majority of the businesses you patronize, for the next five years.

Welcome to Japan…

Then you take your order to a seat. Most of them are full. You see an empty seat near the door. Bollocks, there’s a computer and a cell phone on the table, and a purse on the chair. You immediately look for the owner…they must be close. That’s a lot of value sitting there by its lonesome. But, there is no one not seated anywhere near it besides you. You look around for another unoccupied table. You spot one in the back. It’s free. It’s next to the bathroom. You plant yourself and sip your delicious drink. A couple of  minutes later a girl emerges from the restroom and strolls to the table where you’d seen the PC, phone and purse, sits, and resumes doing her homework or whatever.

You think to yourself, Man, if she had done that in NY there’s a very good chance she would have come back to an empty table. A very, VERY good chance. Then you wonder how true that is. You’ve actually never seen anyone so stupid before and of course you’ve never left your belongings behind while you so much as looked out the window, let alone went to the bathroom. It’s simply unthinkable, anti-common sense. It almost warrants being robbed. You imagine that if you went to the police station in NY after being robbed and explained that “…when I came back from the bathroom a few minutes later, all of my stuff was gone,” they would laugh and say, “if it wasn’t for dickheads like you, there wouldn’t be any thievery in this world, would there?”

You don’t it know then, but three years later you’ll be the one going to the bathroom leaving your belongings behind because you would have been living in a country where what you grew up to believe is common sense isn’t common sense, it’s nonsense, it’s virtually unthinkable, and this kind of thinking eventually rubs off on you. So much that you’re almost afraid to go home for if you do then you will need to re-install that old paranoid software, also known as survival instincts, that it took all of three years to un-install.

And you realize that you actually hated having to drag your computer to the toilet with you…not because it’s a pain in the ass, but because it indicated that no one in your vicinity could be trusted…that you lived in a trust-free environment your entire life and accepted it as the way of the world.

Well, not in this world.

Welcome to japan…

23 Responses to “And yet MORE things I LOVE about Japan: Service & Safety”

1. areason2write 9 January 2009 at 6:06 pm Permalink

Do you know about this site? You should definitely register your blog – you will probably get more traffic. And you might find some blogs you want to read. (That is as long as you don't stop reading mine) 8-)

• Locohama 9 January 2009 at 6:23 pm Permalink

Hey Thanks Reason2 (-:
      I'll check it out…and don't worry, this grasshopper is a loyal fan (-;

2. zen 10 January 2009 at 12:07 pm Permalink

BTW, let's not forget. The Japanese will give you good service in restaurants, and the like, without any thoughts of a tip. Because there is no tipping in Japan!

• Locohama 10 January 2009 at 5:14 pm Permalink

Yep, that's important…cuz even at Starbuck's in the US, I think there's tipping, though I've never.

3. freedomwv 10 January 2009 at 4:41 pm Permalink

Customer service is pretty good here in Japan. The speed at McDonalds is a shock at first. Although, at McDonalds do not expect to be able to use English every time.

• Locohama 10 January 2009 at 5:17 pm Permalink

Thanks for the repsponse Freedom-san (-:
      That"s very true!

4. Jen 11 January 2009 at 2:16 am Permalink

I love your blog — I've been following it for a while.

Up there with the service and cleanliness at McDonald's in Japan is the food! It's *gasp* freshly cooked! No shoe leather here. I'll be greatly disappointed when I back to the US.

I also like the safety. I think I was in a Tokyu Hands (what a fun store!) and they actually had announcements to watch your belongings as there had been pickpockets in the area. In the US, there would be no need for such warnings, which is sad.

Keep up the great blog!

• Locohama 11 January 2009 at 3:49 am Permalink

Thanks Jen…you"re so right. My first trip to Mickey d in Japan sold me completely. The burger looked just like the one in the advertisement, and tasted just as good as the commercials lead you to believe they would taste: out of this world.
      Thanks for reading my blog and please feel free to comment anytime (-: I'll check yours out too. So you're here for a year? I'll see what u've gotten into so far…(-;

5. jturningpin 14 January 2009 at 4:49 pm Permalink

Ha! My first trip to a Japanese McD's was a shock not just for the customer service, but for the keigo. Arrived here with a decent knowledge of Japanese already; ここで食べますか — "Will you be eating here?" — no problem. But when lady behind the counter asked me こちらのほうで召し上がるでしょうか, I was utterly lost. Needless to say, I ramped up the Japanese study after that embarrassing affair…

• Locohama 14 January 2009 at 6:25 pm Permalink

Yeah, that keigo still throws me for a loop…Now I just anticipate their questions when i can't catch it. I get it right about 85% of the time these days (-:

6. Jen 15 January 2009 at 2:53 am Permalink

If all I have to do is deal with keigo to get great service and decent food for a not unreasonable price, well I call that a fair trade!!

• Locohama 15 January 2009 at 6:12 am Permalink

Hey Jen!
      Here, here (-: Keigo is a small price to pay

7. Mo(NL) 15 January 2009 at 3:15 am Permalink

safety first in Japan….

i have notice on the internet that they have safety guy for every not-so-dangerous change in the daily life. three guys in a blue overall with the orange thing that (only police officers have when you go trough a alcohol check ) point you to the right direction….:)

overall the " And yet MORE things I LOVE about Japan" are really good . can't wait till the next one

Greeting

MO ( from Amsterdam)

8. areason2write 15 January 2009 at 7:07 am Permalink

where ya been? everything ok?

• Locohama 15 January 2009 at 2:48 pm Permalink

Hey reason2 (-:
      Thanks for your concern…how sweet! Actually I've just moved to a new apt. so it's been a bit hectic.
      Otherwise all is well…thanks so much for checking in (-:

9. areason2write 16 January 2009 at 6:26 am Permalink

oh good!

10. Moogiechan 15 September 2011 at 11:21 am Permalink

Having to wade through keigo is worth it to be guaranteed that your food will not have spent half its life under a heat lamp. And why can’t we get shrimp-wiches and wasabi on our hamburgers here in the US?

Gotta agree with you about not being able to leave stuff around. Not only can’t you trust someone not to take it, but you can’t expect bystanders to do anything about it either.

• Locohama 15 September 2011 at 9:42 pm Permalink

Long time no see Moogie!! How’s it going?? Thanks fior the shout!!

11. Zen 9 January 2009 at 10:34 am Permalink

True true true. One of the great things about Japan. Not as true as it was in the past but still compared to most of the states. It is a safety paradise.

Service in Japan though is still the Bomb!!!

12. Locohama 9 January 2009 at 6:27 pm Permalink

Ain't it? I mean, it's so ridiculously superior to America, I can barely tolerate it when I go home for a visit. The only upside is I can understand everything they're saying back home

(-:

13. Vin 9 January 2009 at 7:40 pm Permalink

"…what you grew up to believe is common sense isn’t common sense, it’s nonsense…"

I absolutely agree with this. If there's one thing I want to change about America, it's people's sense of entitlement. From Enron to the punk who thinks just because he can knock your car window out and steal what's inside, it should have belonged to him in the first place.

This disrespect for others and the feeling that if you can take it, you deserve it are a real blight on our culture. It has nothing to do with poverty either. I've been to some countries where their poverty eclipses our poverty a hundred-fold but stealing is still a taboo (at least on the surface), where it's actually done for fun in America. This is one thing I wish we could learn from Japan.

14. Locohama 9 January 2009 at 8:23 pm Permalink

Well said Vin-san, we could definitely learn a number of things from the Japanese.