18 March 2009 ~ 19 Comments

Reader’s Choice – Gimme some homework!

Well, I have a spring vacation coming up and I don’t have any plans except to do some writing- and hit up an onsen or hanami (cherry blossom vewing party) or two. So here’s your chance to give Loco some homework. What would you like to read about? If it interest me as well I will give it the Loco Lyte treatment. If not, well….

Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Loco Lyte

great taste less feeling

19 Responses to “Reader’s Choice – Gimme some homework!”

1. redDog aka P aka Dude from the Dirty Smoke 18 March 2009 at 8:22 pm Permalink

Hey Loco,

Haven’t been reading regularly for a while now, but was working on something and for some reason came across your “empty seat…” post again. Then I discovered that you had replied my comments back before Xmas.

Glad to c you’ve been keeping up the posts. Got lots to catch up. One day I’ll tell you about some of the weird shit I’ve seen.

Stay strong dude, and remember the road is not for the swift, but for…. Who said that, Dennis Brown?

P:)

2. areason2write 20 March 2009 at 7:06 am Permalink

I want to read about your mom and her being a priestess. I know I will have some other requests too. Like how much longer will you be there and what do you think it will take to make you want to leave. Let's see – I will come up with some more – Maybe tell us who the other bloggers you enjoy reading are (maybe you have already done that one – I think you might have) – Oh I know, what are the things you miss most about the U.S.

3. Bored in Kanagawa 20 March 2009 at 7:10 am Permalink

Loco,
    Let's talk about funny or strange relationships we have been in here in Japan.

4. Hiero/fudgepudge 20 March 2009 at 10:04 am Permalink

curious about the gaijins you know there and their intriguing (hopefully) experiences about living in japan.

5. Qcue 20 March 2009 at 9:12 pm Permalink

Post on your experience on your vacation. I guess spring Break holidays is when it happens. Have a safe trip Locohama

6. justin 20 March 2009 at 10:45 pm Permalink

Due to the recent criticism I've gotten from a friend, I find the contrast of our respective situations interesting. I don't know enough details to know if you could give more to the story, but if you could write something in this domain I think it would be cool to have the insights.

Basically my friend suggested that I'm in Asia primarily to "hide out" from the real world which "intimidates" me. I explain some things to him in MY words, and he reinterprets it as "you feel intimidated by people in the US and to the even higher degree by girls there because they are native English speakers and can understand the exact nuances of your every word and see very quickly who you really are. You like hiding behind your Chinese, or English which you know they aren't really understanding." He suggested that to deal with my demons I need to go to the US for some years and face them by building a life there. (I loath the idea!) I brought you up in the conversation, "but I know this super cool guy writing a blog in Japan, he was all settled in his life when he came to Japan, and in fact it was being in Japan that forced certain things to the extreme that he faced demons he could have gone his whole life never having to face otherwise." (Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, but that's what I believe I read here.) So… he didn't accept my reasoning, because he said I never had a life in the US before.

Anyway, yeah, I really hate to leave my life story as a comment on YOUR blog, Loco! But I'm afraid I couldn't figure out how to explain to you what kind of an article I'm interested in otherwise. Basically, if there is anything interesting that pops into your mind when reading the above, any perspective you have, I'd love to hear about it!!! (-:

7. jturningpin 21 March 2009 at 7:22 am Permalink

I'd like to hear about your onsen experience. Being a (sort of) white guy and having done the onsen thing myself and gotten a few interesting reactions, I'd like to hear if anything interesting happens on your end. Had a drunk-as-hell Japanese guy finally work up the nerve to come up to us in the rotenburo and ask if we had frogs in America one time. That was interesting.

Enjoy your time off, Loco.

8. Blackjin2009 22 March 2009 at 9:17 am Permalink

Hey Loco, I’ve yet to comment up until now, but I was wondering; what ever became of Hiro?

• Locohama 23 March 2009 at 9:03 am Permalink

Hey blackjin2009, thanks for the shout!
      Who is Hiro? Are you talking about Hiro my Hero? If you are it was not a real name…just a name I used because it rhymed with “hero” (-:

9. areason2write 23 March 2009 at 3:11 pm Permalink

okay – I have it – 3 posts

1 – think of the alternative explanations that the japanese might avoid you – racism as a reason is not allowed – use your wit and imagination – but nothing negative

2 – the five things you like/miss about George Bush

3 – the five things you do not like about Barack Obama or would change about him

10. Locohama 23 March 2009 at 7:41 pm Permalink

Well, I want to thank everyone for the suggestions so far. Nothing is jumping off of the page into the motivational centers of my brain yet though (-:
    Justice, your has given me a moment of headscratching though. Made me wonder if I spoke enough about what brought me here and what I left behind. I thought I had…maybe it's time for a follow up. Also, Reason2, your idea of how long I plan to stay has merit, but unfortuantely i don't have an answer yet. When I do arrive at one I'll be sure to post about it. Maybe I can post about procrastination (-; JTP, I'd love to do the onsen thing but I haven't really had any extraorfinary experiences at onsens,just the typical I went, I bathed, I ate, I bathed, I slept, I bathed, I left. But, maybe i could come up with something if I thought really hard. Fudgepudge, the Gaijin I know here are not that interesting and far from intriguing. Most have become your typical salarymen, married Nihonjin and settled in for better or for worse. And as you know I avoid most gaijin like the plague so I really couldn't say.
    However. BIK, I might have to take you up on your idea. Strange relationships abound!
    Thanks again to all and please keep em coming!

11. Zach 24 March 2009 at 2:03 am Permalink

I know this really isn't your thing and there are a bunch of other sites that probably have this kind of info but I'd be interested in getting some restaurant recommendations for Tokyo if you've been there enough to have any favorite places. I've been reading your blog for awhile now and it is always more interesting to get recommendations from someone I feel like I sort of know rather then some random web posting. I'm going to be in Tokyo in mid April.

And since this is the first time I've posted I'd like to say how much I enjoy your writing. I wish I had half the writing ability you have.

12. Blackjin2009 24 March 2009 at 5:14 am Permalink

I tried searching for the post, but maybe that was it. I think the only Japanese friend you mentioned making in Nihon.

• Locohama 24 March 2009 at 5:10 pm Permalink

Blackjin san, Well in the post about making Japanese friends I mentioned two of my friends Satoshi and Takuto, and maybe I mentioned that I play ball with my boy Mitsuhiro. We still play ball every sunday and some friday or saturday nights. Last week we went to an Elementary school in Tsurumi somewhere and played full court. i hadn't played full court in about 5 years and liked to die out there. But I'm looking forward to going again. (Maybe I have a death wish) So, yeah, "hiro" is doing well…He was young and sprite and racing around like a professional ball player waiting for me to bring up the rear LOL

13. Locohama 24 March 2009 at 5:02 pm Permalink

<!–more–>Hmmmmm, a "positive" reason for avoiding me? That might require more imagination than i have at my disposal, but yes I think that is a grand idea Reason2 (-:
    5 things I like about George Bush would be blast to write! Another Homerun for Reason2!
    That last one would require a lot sarcasm and fecetiousness but it's doable i guess. Things I'd change about Obama…well, I'd…
    that's probably the trickiest one! But I may give it a go one night if the muse overtakes me…THANKS ALOT for the ideas!!! Reason2, you're the bomb!

Zach san, I guess i could give some leads. Let me put a couple together and I'll get back to you!

14. crashacat 25 March 2009 at 8:09 am Permalink

Hmmm.. You can write about your own guide to enjoy a day in Yokohama.
    Want to got there soon, but not want to do the touristy stuff.

• XO 19 May 2009 at 8:27 pm Permalink

Are you still taking requests on this? If so, how about something on how the design of cities/transportation systems impacts life in Japan and how that compares to NYC?

• Locohama 19 May 2009 at 9:39 pm Permalink

XO-san,
        requests were closed but for you, I’m gonna hook it up. I’ll get back at you ASAP. Damn, but I’ve been out of the NYC loop for a minute now…but I’ll dredge through my mental sludge and try to salvage something intelligible.
        Thanks for your continuing support! You are most righteous!