25 February 2010 ~ 15 Comments

Closing in on 200000 Served!

Seems like only weeks ago I was looking at 100000 and now I’m looking at 200000! If averages hold true it’ll happen today or tomorrow. It’s really overwhelming to me and once again I want to thank all of my readers and followers for their continuing and enthusiastic support of loco in Yokohama.

When I finish editing, revising and re-revising a post and once I click that “publish” button, I feel such a charge race through me. Like a surge of adrenalin laced with anxiety. Because I know that I have created something…something original. And I’ve sent it out into the world to fend for itself.  Sometimes it comes back  weak and injured, sometimes it comes back healthy and strong, sometimes it even comes back stronger, with friends and supporters. And each one I take personally. My writing is personal to me. I invest a great deal of my time, energy, real thoughts and feelings into my work.

Some of my friends tell me, Loco, you are really fucking Loco! It’s dangerous to open yourself up to people like that. And, as cynical as you are, they say, you ought to know better. Well, they’re right, of course. (Not about the cynicism…at least I’m not severely cynical I think) It is dangerous! There are risks involved in opening yourself up…especially someone as sensitive as I can be at times.

But, you know what I’ve learned? The more I write, the stronger I get, and the more I can take it as well as I dish it! Writing helps me manage my daily strife and actually allows me to step outside myself a bit and see my situation from different perspectives.

And, you know what else I’ve learned? I’ve learned that the kind of writing that people respond to, that provokes thoughts, feelings, ideas, and the kind of dialogue and exchanges I see taking place in my comment area among my readers…these kinds of exchanges only take place when the reader has been engaged, when the real is being addressed, when risks have been taken and when dangerous ground has been trodden upon.

Writing has helped me uncover me, sculpt away so much useless clay, and be the me I always wanted to be. It’s a blessing I don’t intend to keep to myself. I couldn’t even if I wanted to. And I feel so fortunate to have found my voice and an audience virtually simultaneously. Is that how it always works?

The Beatles once said Everybody’s got something to hide except me and my monkey. (Great line!) Well, I got something to hide, too. Only, I’m hiding it in plain sight, right here on Loco in Yokohama.  Welcome to my hiding place!

Here are some of  the comments that inform me I must be doing something right:

“I like the way you tell it as it is…. in real-time.”

From Robin at Japundit

Please try to refrain from stereotyping and over-dramatising you are starting to sound like the late Richard Pryor or a hyper-ventilating Black Woody Allen.”

From Elizabeth at Punjapit

“Loco, you got the best read on the Japan related net AND you got lessons to plan AND you gotta have a life. Please don’t waste a second of it trying to please anyone round’ here.”

From The original Hawaiibadboy, my man chris

“Hey – I love reading your writing – you are so willing to share your raw emotion – you come across as a Don’t f*** with me toughie but then you soak in every comment. You are teaching us all a lot with your unique ability to bend without breaking. I enjoy your comments at least as much as your writing. And 25k in only 4 months – you clearly rock!”

From reason2write

A friend of mine yesterday actually mentioned me and Chester Himes in the same sentence! (and it wasn’t flattery, he said) This kind of stuff keeps me stoked! A writer needs readers so thank you so much! And don’t hesitate to tell your friends. Blast your FB peeps with my link. Tweet the Loco brand. Shout Loco out! Onegai itashi fucking masu! (-:

Well…I’ve mentioned before that I am in the process of making a few changes to the look of Loco in Yokohama, and many of you gave me feedback as to what you would like to see changed and what you would like to remain unchanged. Most of you will be pleased. Those who said my sidebar is for shit, and my archives are in disarray, etc…Those issues will be a thing of the past. Those who have grown fond of the black backgroud…well…Loco’s gotta lighten up a bit. Sorry.

But, I promise that though the look will change, what you really come here for, (and I presume it’s not to see my black background) namely my work, will continue to be honest, funny (I hope), real and like my buddy reason2write says “RAW!” My primary focus, as always, will be on the quality of the content. That’s priority number 1!

I’m so excited. I got some really interesting projects in pre-production! You guys are so lucky (at least I think so lol)! I truly believe the best is yet to come!

Sincerely,

PS: Ummm…if you read / follow my blog, why don’t you go to my networkedblogs page here and click “follow.” (and rate me…I like 5 stars but I’ll take what you got) It’ll help me build up my readership and whatnot. Also you can catch my tweets at Locohama.

Thanks in advance!

15 Responses to “Closing in on 200000 Served!”

1. RawleyR 25 February 2010 at 2:50 pm Permalink

Thanks for the constant entertainment. Sometimes I wait a few days before rechecking your blog but only because I want more to read at one time.

2. Craig 25 February 2010 at 5:33 pm Permalink

always a good read, and your output level impresses the hell out of me….I almost don’t have enough time to READ your stuff in a day, but you’re all up in it, just churning out good stuff and getting it out there before I’m even done with the last one….

Hell, you’ve probably posted beyond this one and I’m not even there yet…

3. Darla 25 February 2010 at 8:53 pm Permalink

Blessings and salutations. I'm resisting facebook as an avid isolationist but I wish you all the best. In the meantime, some of your commentary helped me understand from my enigmatic lessons that I am learning the months of the year. As an aside, the Japanese accountant in my office loves me and her face lit up when I simply repeated her hello. I feel like a celebrity when I pull into the parking lot alongside some of my other esteemed colleagues transplanted from the home office in Japan. The Japanese really are surprised that we're interested and able. Aren't they? Thanks again for sharing your gift at writing.

• Locohama 25 February 2010 at 9:04 pm Permalink

Thanks Darla…I understand isolationism as a lifestyle so no prob and yes we do surprise some JP with our ability to do anything outside of their expectations…Oh well, whatchagonnado.
      thanks for the shout and support!

4. Tom 26 February 2010 at 1:00 am Permalink

A Pimp named Slickback, awesome.

Anyway I’ll be one of the few missing the dark background but the colour be damned! It could be hot pink and covered in ponies but as long as you keep putting up these fantastic posts I’ll keep reading. And speaking of writing I think you have improved. Do you ever go back and read older posts?

5. SayJapanese 26 February 2010 at 2:30 am Permalink

Well done, there aren't a lot of blogs that can keep my attention for this long. What do i like most about Loco? you've changed, you used to be pretty angry about the BLACK MAN ALERT stereotype you experienced. Now, you just seem to go with the flow. Congrats on the 200,000… I'm on 65 lol ^_^

6. Jamal 26 February 2010 at 2:56 am Permalink

I’ve always wondered how many of the Japanese people you interact with know about your blog?

7. reesan 26 February 2010 at 5:26 am Permalink

rock on loco. congrats on the milestone!

8. LS 26 February 2010 at 8:43 am Permalink

Hey, I think your twitter account might have been pwned by spammers; I just got a spam direct message from you (unless your new e-mail is Paris455love@hotmail.com).

• Locohama 26 February 2010 at 9:08 pm Permalink

Chyo ya fucking bai!!! I just changed the password. hopefully that alleviates the problem with the hacker…if not, maybe I need a new twitter address…will keep you all abreast. Thanks for the heads up LS and Rune

9. Zach 26 February 2010 at 6:27 pm Permalink

With this kind of traffic you should look into putting some Google ads up or something so you can reap some monetary benefits from all this wonderful content you provide for your readers. I haven’t set that kind of thing up before but I had a co-worker once upon a time who had done that for himself say it wasn’t too difficult.

10. jim 27 February 2010 at 8:34 am Permalink

"Late Richard Pryor/black Woody Allen" can't possibly be a criticism. As long as you don't start freebasing or dating your step-daughter, you are right on track.

11. areason2write 12 March 2010 at 5:23 pm Permalink

Did I really make the quotes? It is exactly that quote that keeps me coming back and back and back again – you clearly still rock! And 200,000k – you are right up there with the Golden Temple ;-) Way to go!