15 March 2010 ~ 18 Comments

Yokohama, in living color, pt.1

Hi there, Friends and fam.

If you read my blog, you find out a great deal about Loco (me) and about every day life in Yokohama, but I realized something : the majority of you do not live here or even in Japan, and may not know much about this area known as Yokohama (doh!). Well, I won’t go into the history of Yokohama, not too much anyway. There’s shitloads of information on the internet. This post contains mostly pics and some surface background on the place I call home now.

Yokohama  (横浜) is literally a city by the sea, with a gorgeous bay/harbor area.

Located on the western coast of Tokyo Bay directly south of Tokyo, Yokohama is the second largest city in Japan and one of the cities most used to seeing foreigners.

Yokohama was the first port opened up to foreign trade after the opening of Japan in 1854 when Commodore Matthew Perry arrived just south of Yokohama with a fleet of American warships, demanding that Japan open several ports for commerce, and the Tokugawa shogunate agreed by signing the Treaty of Peace and Amity. At the forefront of the Meiji restoration, the first train line in Japan connected Tokyo and Yokohama. However, Yokohama was devastated by the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 and again by the firebombings of World War II, and never really regained its prominence. It remains a maritime city to this day and retains an international flavor.

Kanazawa Ward is one of the 18 districts that Yokohama City is composed of. It is located on the east side of the Miura. It is a wonderful town where nature overflowed. from Wikipedia and Wikitravel

There are a few areas that people think of when they think of Yokohama. Most prominent of these would be: Minato Mirai, Chinatown, Motomachi and Sakuragicho. This post contains pictures primarily from Minato Mirai.

Within Minato Mirai there are two famous landmarks. One is the Landmark Tower (seen left) which is (I believe) the tallest building in Japan, standing 970ft high.

The other is the Cosmo Clock 21, which is the largest Clock in the world. One rotation takes about 15 minutes. The one time I braved a ride all I could think the entire time was is there a worst place to be in the event of an earthquake (not exactly a rarity in Japan). Nope. Not such a good 15 minutes.

But, this is in my favorite area of Yokohama. And, it’s so photogenic!

Thought Bubble: "Damn, I already wrote about that, didn't I?"

Look up writer's block in the dictionary, you'll find this pic!

Yokohama Nippon Maru

Look up "where's my muse when I need it?" and you'll find this one!

Cosmo Clock is surrounded by Cosmo World Amusement Park

Things to do when you're blocked: have a little fun with photoshop (-;

Well, that’s about it for now…Time to stop fluffing around and get back to some writing!

Look up "Eureka!" and this is the pic! (-;

Twitter

Facebook

18 Responses to “Yokohama, in living color, pt.1”

1. blackchild 16 March 2010 at 3:13 am Permalink

why is everything in Japan 10x nicer than Korea

• Locohama 16 March 2010 at 5:11 am Permalink

Japanese are probably more "particular" (nice way of saying anal) than the Koreans I'd wager.
      tghanks for the shout son!

• Moogiechan 17 March 2010 at 8:28 am Permalink

You are equally talented with camera and pen! Thanks for the pics — they make me "homesick" for Japan.

2. reesan 16 March 2010 at 4:09 am Permalink

lovin' it loco. but i was expecting your digs to have strobe lights, lava lamps, a love swing swinging from the ceiling. more like a love boudoir, a sex den. instead, i'm seeing a classy cigar lounge.

• Jamaipanese 18 March 2010 at 12:22 pm Permalink

awesome awesome post and pictures man, makes me wish I could jump on a plane to Yokohama now!

3. yogialb 16 March 2010 at 9:11 am Permalink

I Liked the pictures, can you take more about the Food and Culture, Thank You!.

• Locohama 16 March 2010 at 9:39 am Permalink

Thanks for the shout, Albyogi (-:
      Sorry, to be honest, I'm not much of a food and culture person…not really interested in that. I'm sick to death of temples and shrines, Matsuri (festivals) don't excite me anymore, the Japanese language doesn't even get me all hot and bothered anymore (seen one kanji you've seen them all), and I eat food (too much usually) not photograph it.
      I can recommend some good blogs for that though. Check out my sidebar. I have a number of good food and culture and language blogs there, and if they're there they're great! IMHO
      Of course if you want some good stories about day to day life here, that give you an insight into not only a foreigner's thinking but also the thinking and behavior of the natives, and a few pics and videos as well, then Loco in Yokohama is the place to be (or so I'm told). (-;
      Now that i think about it I guess my writing is a literary picture of the culture here. (IMHO)
      Thanks

• BoukenLou 16 March 2010 at 1:51 pm Permalink

I've been to Japan once and can you believe that I failed to go to Yokohama to ride the Cosmo Clock? I was told repeatedly by all of my friends that I should go but somehow my week's vacation came and went without me ever going there.

I can't afford to go back to Japan for another few years but the next time I go its definitely at the very top of my list of things to do.

I love the blog, Loco-sensei. Keep up the great work!

• Enrico 16 March 2010 at 4:47 pm Permalink

Nice post Loco…as always 🙂

Regards from Italy

4. Kendall Koelling 26 January 2011 at 12:35 pm Permalink

Love the pics. I wandered around those streets on a regular basis. I bet fireworks are amazing from that vantage point!

5. kateria niambi 1 June 2011 at 2:29 am Permalink

Lovely pics!!!

6. Letsbengoshi 1 June 2011 at 11:37 am Permalink

Just incredible.  So, how long can I crash at your place, man?

R.