03 June 2010 ~ 34 Comments

Japan Blog Matsuri – The June 2010 Theme

UPDATE!!! The Matsuri has been completed and blogged. Here’s the link!

Welcome to the theme announcement for the June 2010 edition of the Japan Blog Matsuri!

Before we get into the specifics of this month’s matsuri, a big shout out to last month’s host blog, Nihongoup for the exceptional job he did. The May Japan Blog Matsuri ‘s theme called for how-to or 101 tutorials on anything related to Japan. There were a number of enlightening entries and if you haven’t checked them out yet please take a moment and do so…you’ll be glad you did!

Now, on to new business. Loco in Yokohama will be hosting this month’s Matsuri and I am honored to do so.

First, let’s set the mood with a little tune that always does it for me. If you like, you can listen to it while you read.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ahhmiuyko0

Now, as that Sly and the Family Stone groove seeps into your soul and has you thinking about every wonderful feeling summer has ever given you, and that melancholy feeling you have whenever She gives way to Autumn, you’re properly primed for this month’s theme:

夏の楽しみ (Natsu no Tanoshimi) or

“Hot Fun In the Summertime!”

Here in Kawaiiland (at least in Kanto region), after this rainy season is finished hosing us down, like it or not, summer will be here. Japanese summer is known for its brutal humidity and if you don’t live here- believe me- its not exaggerated. A yard from your front door, the first bead of sweat races down your back!

But, if you’re like me, you’ve discovered a number of great ways to keep cool and/or have some hot fun!

Open Fire Hydrant

In this early-summer edition of the Matsuri, please share with us your favorite Summer activities and offer some recommendations for summer fun (in Japan of course). Where is the place to be? Your Great Escape? Know a wicked beach where you can get a wicked tan (for you folks who need tans)? An awesome Water Park? Even an open fire hydrant would be post-worthy. How about a great Hanabi or Summer Matsuri? The best park for a picnic, spot for a BBQ, space for Prawns on the Barbie, or whatever tickles your gullet? Clue us in!

Have you had a great experience (or terrible) here in Japan in summers past? Ex:Went to Fuji Rock last year? Was it a FAIL or a blast?  Got pics to illustrate why? Tell us and show us. Share it with the soon to-be sweltering masses.

If you’ve never been to Japan in Summer, or don’t currently reside in Japan, this might be a challenge for you. But, I don’t want you guys to feel excluded so here’s how you can contribute:

I presume if you’re reading this that you have some interest in Japan. If there’s a particular blogger’s writing style  or photographs you like, why not ask him / her directly? Request what you’d like them to tell/show you about summer in Nippon. Curious about what kind of activities and events Akihabara offers in the summer? Want to know where the best bikinis and Speedos can be found (and the pics to prove it)? Ask a resident blogger. And while you’re at it, tell them to put a link to the post here. If they’re not too busy they might take you up on it!

Or, if you have any other ideas, run them by me! I’ll let you know if they’re suitable for this month’s theme.

Here’s how to participate:

Rules and Guidelines

Aside from contributing within the context of the theme, the rules are as follows:

How to Submit

Following are three ways to submit an article:

Deadline

The deadline for submissions to this matsuri is midnight Wednesday, June 23rd  2010 (Tokyo time).

Well, that’s about  it. Hope you’ll be participating. Sorry, I don’t have any cash or prizes to offer as incentive to get in on this, but, I hope you will. If you are a J-blogger you’re probably going to be writing some summer related material anyway.

I’m looking forward to reading your submissions, and being refreshed by some cool ideas (-:

Before you go, here’s a little more summer music to get you in the right mindset. A little Fresh Prince (AKA Will Smith) and Chicago.

Enjoy!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_PDns23RWY

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YildA2nBE8c

34 Responses to “Japan Blog Matsuri – The June 2010 Theme”

1. Jamaipanese 4 June 2010 at 12:51 am Permalink

good matsuri idea. If I may sent out a request I’d love to see video of a summer festival in J-land or hot Japanese girls on da beach!

2. Philip Seyfi 4 June 2010 at 1:53 am Permalink

@Jamaipanese: +1 for Japanese girls on the beach ^^

• Locohama 4 June 2010 at 8:55 am Permalink

Don’t forget to SOC it my friends…and spread the word!!! Thanks in Advance

3. Locohama 4 June 2010 at 10:07 am Permalink

Hey Jamaipanese, thanks for the shout! Well, I'm not much of a videographer but I'm sure one of the J-bloggers must be. Hopefully they will read your request and take you up on it. I sincerely hope so!

Of course you are welcome to drop a post too and I hope you will! Though you havent gotten here yet you probably know more about japan than some of the people who've been a while…I'm sure you'll think of something (-;

4. reesan 5 June 2010 at 9:54 pm Permalink

great topic for this month's matsuri loco!

now i can't get dj jazzy jeff and the fresh prince's summertime out of my head.

5. Locohama 5 June 2010 at 10:15 pm Permalink

Thanks Reesan! Yeah, Will was alwasy the man wasn't he? He always knew it though lol

Don't forget to SOC it! That goes for everyone! Please go to:

Thanks, Loco

6. Muza-chan 8 June 2010 at 3:41 am Permalink

Great Matsuri idea, Loco Sensei!

Well, I'm proposing something to cool down: Cool yourself with a… Matsuri

7. Mo 9 June 2010 at 7:02 pm Permalink

Nice! Might talk about the VERY first time I was in Japan… or that-one-time-in-kyoto… I'll be sure to whip something up!

• Locohama 9 June 2010 at 8:03 pm Permalink

Hey Mo! Thanks for popping in. I can't wait to see what you come up with. i'm sure it'll be great!

8. Dazey May 10 June 2010 at 9:32 pm Permalink

Entry into this month's Blog Matsuri, Escape to the Inland Sea…

• Locohama 10 June 2010 at 10:30 pm Permalink

Hi Dazey May Thanks for the submission. looks great!
      @Muza-chan, your submission looks wonderful as well.
      I want to go to both!

9. AnnaTrouble 12 June 2010 at 9:52 pm Permalink

Here is our entry:

We're just doing the whole enchilada of local festival listings, with our not-so-witty comments and ratings.

Jamaipanese,

links to a whole bunch of summer matsuri videos are in that post, too. Sorry, can't help you with hot girls on the beach.

• Locohama 13 June 2010 at 1:09 am Permalink

Anna, thanks for the submission! It looks wonderful, and I'm sure you're gonna really put Tochigi on this map with this! Submissions like yours are going to make this matsuri a huge success, so cheers!
      And if you're reading this and have an idea don't hesistate to submit or at least run your idea by me! I'll be much obliged

10. Vania 13 June 2010 at 7:21 am Permalink

Oh dear, this topic is quite a tough one for me. But I'll whip something up 🙂

• Locohama 13 June 2010 at 7:27 am Permalink

Much obliged Vania! I'm sure it'll be great!

11. William 14 June 2010 at 1:34 am Permalink

Hi Loco,

Here's my submission on Sumidagawa Fireworks Festival and how there are so many other better options. 😉

Alternatives to the Sumida River Fireworks Festival

Hope it's okay, since you said the FAILs are as welcome as the recommendations.

12. Locohama 14 June 2010 at 8:08 am Permalink

William, thanks a bunch!!! Looks great! and yes of course Fails are welcome.

13. Ashley 14 June 2010 at 10:04 pm Permalink

Here's my submission: http://www.survivingnjapan.com/2010/06/where-to-c

"where to chill out in Shizuoka this summer" – two great onsen.

Thanks for hosting!

• Locohama 15 June 2010 at 1:26 am Permalink

Hi Ashley! Kochira koso, thanks for the submission…I do love onsen!

14. Chris B 16 June 2010 at 6:41 pm Permalink

My Summer beach Party has become an event in these parts so i could do that?

• Locohama 16 June 2010 at 7:27 pm Permalink

@Chris, sounds good to me. have pics from previous parties? Please include them!

15. InvisibleGaijin 16 June 2010 at 7:57 pm Permalink

Hey Loco, here's another one for ya!

• Locohama 16 June 2010 at 8:18 pm Permalink

The Notorious IG is back!!! Absolutely brilliant! Gonna get me fired! You should put “not safe for work” on this, not for T & A but for the outburst upon reading “what would you like me to do with your natsu?”
      Thanks for the submission yo!!!
      loco

16. Chris B 29 June 2011 at 4:08 pm Permalink

Here you go bro!!

Hot off the press!

17. Michaela 1 July 2011 at 1:32 am Permalink

Doctor Orders Bored Children to Go Outside

Thanks for this opportunity Locohama!

• Locohama 1 July 2011 at 10:23 am Permalink

Thanks for posting Michaela!!