07 June 2010 ~ 11 Comments

Yokohama, in living color #7: Aigamo rice fields of Yokohama pt.2

Signs of the urban nearby: Grafitti on a storage shed.

This farmer has set aside a portion of his rice field for children to come and experience rice farming…at a whopping 7000 yen per kid. Might make more from this than he does from the farm itself.

I’d missed the kids,but not the bang-up job they did planting rice. Compare it with area the farmer planted.

The rice fields were awesome at sunset.

Thanks for stopping by…catch you next time…

11 Responses to “Yokohama, in living color #7: Aigamo rice fields of Yokohama pt.2”

1. Richard Newton 7 June 2010 at 4:08 pm Permalink

Hello, Loco -

Richard of http://www.letsjapan.wordpress.com here. I discovered your site through a Twitter link and am glad I did. I confess that whenever I’ve thought of Yokohama it’s been The Sprawl that’s come to mind. So very many times back and forth through it via Shinkansen. Not once have I yet (had the time to) stop and “get to know” Yokohama. Thank you for personalizing it for me.

I write this at 2:05 a.m. in my current locality. In the morning (I mean the morning morning) your great site will go on my blogroll. It’s funny that you write fiction and I write non-fiction; funny what we’re drawn to, what the Muse eggs us on, each of us, to write about.

All the best, be in touch,

Richard

• Locohama 8 June 2010 at 1:23 am Permalink

Richard, thanks for the shout (in the morning morning lol) Appreciate it. And I appreciate the add to Let's Japan's blogroll, as well. Your reputation over there precedes you! Of course I will reciprocate.
      Yep, that muse is a fickle thing aint it? But I thank the Creator for it! It keeps me this side of Loco.
      I too only thought of the Sprawl. A friend turned me on to this spot and I'm ever so grateful. another great reason in a long list of great reasons to make J-friends.

2. Dana 8 June 2010 at 1:16 am Permalink

Great photos! No fair comparing the kiddies' hand-planted rice to the machine-planted rice though, own up! Plus it looks like the kids' tanbo needs a little more water, hey.

You would have a photographic field day up here in Aomori, Loco. There are far more rice fields and far fewer train stations. They probably pay the KIDS to plant the rice here, rather than the other way around. :)

• Locohama 8 June 2010 at 1:30 am Permalink

Hi Dana…thanks for the shout! Yeah, that was unfair wasn't it? I was just kidding though. Thanks for the props on the photos. If I started shooting Aomori I'd have to change my name lol Loco in Aomori? doesn't have the same Ummph does it? hehe But thanks for the suggestion. If i'm ever over that way I'll definitely take a peep and a few shots. Thanks again!

3. Erik 8 June 2010 at 1:57 am Permalink

Hi, avid reader and first time poster here. Thanks for many a good read.

Awesome pics – if you ever get the opportunity, I suggest that you try out the experience of planting (and harvesting) rice for yourself. I tried it last year and it really gave me a deeper connection to Japan.

Cheers,

Erik

• Locohama 8 June 2010 at 2:03 am Permalink

Thanks Erik! I will indeed give it a try before I vacate the premises for sure!!! Thanks for emerging from the background and letting your voice be heard. Please do so more often (-; Shouts like yours motivate me!

4. Jamaipanese 9 June 2010 at 9:13 am Permalink

love the sunset pictures!