17 February 2011 ~ 10 Comments

I STILL don’t get this!

This is in Yokohama Station, as of today:

Can anyone help me with this? Explain the appeal of this ad campaign. I’d be much obliged. I mean, I dig absurd ad campaigns as much as the next cat, but this one evades comprehension. And I’m a pretty comprehensive guy usually. Curious to hear how people have sussed this out.

Twitter

Facebook

And, if you got a sec, and in the mood for another side of Loco, check out my new blog:

Loco’s Patronus

10 Responses to “I STILL don’t get this!”

1. Jonathan Feltham 17 February 2011 at 9:50 am Permalink

absolutely no idea haha ( and I m in the ad creation business ^_^ )

2. William 17 February 2011 at 1:50 pm Permalink

The White Gaku Wari is a discount plan for students (and their families).

3. Haikugirl 18 February 2011 at 12:30 am Permalink

Is there supposed to be some kind of white day/the softbank dog is white connection?? I dunno… >_<

4. Don "Kangol&quo 18 February 2011 at 2:09 am Permalink

besides drawing your attention, I'm completely befuddled.

5. Kawaii Culture 17 February 2011 at 6:01 pm Permalink

Ok well the dog is the father. He’s really popular and he even talks… The man is also popular and talks… Ok and the woman is Matsuko Deluxe. She.. or he is the current popular TV figure in Japan. As for the girl.. They must be advertising a plan for school kids??? Basically I have no idea either.

6. taro3yen 18 February 2011 at 9:37 am Permalink

Gee, it's just advertising that all the members of a SoftBank-owning family can take advantage of (some of) the benefits of the "Student Discount White Plan."

7. Anonymous 18 February 2011 at 9:40 am Permalink

Well they've been running a bunch of ホワイト学割 TV ads lately… maybe it makes sense if you've seen (and understood) them?

8. Warren Antiola 18 February 2011 at 3:26 pm Permalink

Ok! I hope I can just define the imagery a bit so maybe someone can make sense of this. The "title" – [white student discount with family 2011]. Might be meaning "White Day" in March? Since Valentine's day is over. This would coincide with the kanji in the pink hearts (actually means learning but since everyones wearing school uniforms may mean "student"?). The cellphone plan is 3 years free phone for students. 2 year plan for family. The dog talks in the other TV ads so I only assume this is a sight gag from another show? Hope this helps (0_o;)

• Locohama 18 February 2011 at 4:49 pm Permalink

Thanks Warren! But maybe I wasn't clear…I don't hjave a problem understanding the kanji and I know the history of the campaign. I want to know what is the APPEAL of this ad. Why is it popular? etc…you feel me?

• Warren Antiola 18 February 2011 at 5:05 pm Permalink

oh! lol! Sorry for reading too much into it. For me it's too easy to say, "It just a Japanese sense of humor". When I first spied this on you blog all I can think of was, "some bitc#! That's just wacky!" so I think that is the appeal. Since the Japanese is such a ridged society something totally "out at left field" just might seem fun "normal" to them?