02 March 2011 ~ 16 Comments

What the hell are Japanese teens thinking about??? pt.4

Yep, they’re at it again!

Man, the talent up in this place is just mind-blowing sometimes.

These kids never cease to amaze me! Is everyone a latent manga artist here or what?

Well, there are always some haters, too, aren’t there? Future Jean Michel Basquiat here, maybe (-;

At least they’re using English. 🙂

I’ll be uploading more in the next few hours. You’ll find them on my facebook fan page or my Flickr page. Join/follow and you’ll have full access!

Don’t forget to check out the other great Japan pics submitted to Show Me Japan at Budget Trouble.

PS: For a taste of how I got to be Loco, check out my latest post on Loco’s Patronus here.

Twitter

Facebook

And, if you got a sec, and in the mood for another side of Loco, check out my new blog:

Loco’s Patronus

16 Responses to “What the hell are Japanese teens thinking about??? pt.4”

1. FuKnWitU 2 March 2011 at 10:08 pm Permalink

That pic of Pipi is freakin me out….seriously.
    Was she going for the "freak people out" look on purpose?

Fuck die? Nice to see you got a future public rampage killer in your midsts. Watch your back bro 😉

• Locohama 2 March 2011 at 11:31 pm Permalink

Yeah, i can see him stomping through Akihabara slashing every otaku randomly…there's definitely some rage up in there. As for Pipi,that pic is definitely freaky! What the artist was thinking I have no idea? What drug pipi Longstockings was on is anybody's guess LOL Thanks for the shout!

2. Caroline Josephine 2 March 2011 at 11:33 pm Permalink

Wow these are fantastic! I love it when I get to see how creative Japanese students actually are outside of their 'must cram all facts into my brain to spit them back out at juku later'- selves.

Have to admit, Pipi is freaking me out too.

• Locohama 2 March 2011 at 11:42 pm Permalink

Yeah, and I get the felling that all schools are just filled with talented kids being told that unless you want to be a loser you had better get art off the brain and focus on your math and science. oh well, need someone in the states to tell kids the same, only their minds are on hip hop, basketball, and being some kind of celebrity. thanks for the shout Caroline!

• Caroline Josephine 3 March 2011 at 1:34 am Permalink

Your welcome 🙂

I always let my kids do what they want… color, draw poo on their books, whatever, as long as they're learning. My class, my rules, creativity is encouraged.

• Will 3 March 2011 at 1:51 pm Permalink

Kids seem to have ways in dealing with the dark sarcasm lurking in classrooms.

My kids draw… a lot. So every time I see one of their pictures or paintings, I take the time to hear them tell me the story of what it is that I'm looking at. The generic circle with ears on it looks exactly like what kids are given in school (usually from the age of about three) when asked to sort of fill-in-the-blank for a painting of either one of their parents (we've got several on our walls).

Pippi is depicted with twenty-two teeth, close enough to the twenty-eight a nine-year-old would have.
      The student who depicted her appears familiar with Astrid Lindgren's story.
      After reading the following (via Wikipedia), I can see why the unconventional Pippi might be a hero to a young student might not necessarily think sacrificing their youth to cram schools is such a great thing.

"Though lacking much formal education, Pippi is very intelligent… has a well-honed sense of justice and fair play… will show respect (though still in her own unique style) for adults who treat her and other children fairly. Her attitude towards the worst of adults (from a child's viewpoint) is often that of a vapid, foolish and chatterbox of a child, with most of her targets not realizing just how sharp and crafty Pippi is until she's made fools of them. Pippi… tells truth in the form of humorously strange stories."

Whoever painted Pippi definitely looks like they are trying to say something, even if it might make a few people nervous. If I get the gist of what the student wrote, Pippi's got her own place, a horse, she's strong, smart, and so it's okay if she doesn't go to school. Whose going to argue with someone who has got the strength of almost a dozen policemen?

Pippi's artist looks like she/he is dealing with something addressed by another artist who is now more or less only known for his voice acting via Sponge Bob:

“And these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds, they are immune to your consultations, they're quite aware of what they're going through."

At least some of us are paying attention.

• Will's Editor 3 March 2011 at 4:42 pm Permalink

Should read, "Who is…"

• Will's Editor 3 March 2011 at 7:42 am Permalink

Should read, “Who is…”

• Locohama 3 March 2011 at 4:59 pm Permalink

Interesting analysis Will! Definitely food for thought. Thaks for blessing my space!

• Caroline Josephine 3 March 2011 at 9:23 pm Permalink

Really like your analysis of this. I never said that Pipi freaking me out was a bad thing 🙂 I actually wanted to be here when I was younger (I loved horses and wanted to walk on the wall like she could).

I have a student who draws all of her pictures in super cute princess style and she hates boys… yet there is always a boy saving the princess in her drawings. I think it's because her father is out of the country a lot and she misses him, but is angry at him for going away so much too. I always talk to her about her drawings and her family and try to encourage her to not dislike boys so much 🙂

Thanks for this wonderful reply.

3. Anna Ikeda 5 March 2011 at 1:29 pm Permalink

I want to know what kind of drug the kid who wrote the Africa story was on. I could use some. Srsly.
    I don't know why Pippi is so popular in Japan. I never liked her. Or maybe I was simply jealous that she had a monkey and I didn't. Who knows?

• Lisa W 7 March 2011 at 8:46 pm Permalink

I loved her because she kicked ass (literally) BUT!
      I also thought she was a total jerk. And she kinda is. 😛
      I was jealous because I wanted the horse. 😉

4. Anonymous 6 March 2011 at 6:27 pm Permalink

That last image is like a Radiohead cover!!

Also, I love the James Bond-kinda guy, the Vocaloid and Gintama fanart, and the image that I think says "Hikari and Friends".

5. Lisa W 7 March 2011 at 8:43 pm Permalink

Awesome! There are some really talented students there indeed! ^^
    Bonus points to the Gintama and Pippi Longstocking artists. 😉

6. ねこちゃん 10 March 2011 at 12:56 am Permalink

Hello! are you a teacher in Japan? great drawings… I think it's because they grow up surrounded by manga & anime.. quite impressime though! ねこちゃん

• Locohama 10 March 2011 at 1:06 am Permalink

Thanks for the shout Nekochan…you're probably right! yes I am a teacher in Japan