14 March 2011 ~ 14 Comments

Earthquake damage in my neighborhood

Just a few pictures I shot on the way to work this morning!

Nothing compared to the stuff people are dealing with up north but thought I’d share some of what I see with you guys.

Say a prayer for the victims, and for the safe resolution of the nuclear issues in Fukushima and in other locations.

And for an end, or at least a ceasefire, to these tremors and aftershocks.

Twitter

Facebook

And, if you got a sec, and in the mood for another side of Loco, check out my new blog:

Loco’s Patronus

14 Responses to “Earthquake damage in my neighborhood”

1. FuKnWitU 14 March 2011 at 7:36 pm Permalink

Dayum!!

I sent some cashola to the SPCA to feel good..like I'm helpin. If that had been closer to Tokyo it woulda been epic like in 1923. I wonder if THAT one is still coming down the pike like it does every 80 to 99 years…it's like clockwork. Stay safe bro!

• Locohama 14 March 2011 at 8:48 pm Permalink

Really? I don't do charities…never trusted them. used to give to some that used to collect at my job all the time. Turned out that they were scamming big time, 20 percent getting to the needy 8o percent for admin cost…I know it's not all of them, but it was a VERY big one that was doing this dirt. It killed my ability to trust any of them.I certainly hope it isn't though every one I talk too has no problem predicting it is.
      Great. Just what we need
      thanks for the shout yo

2. Anonymous 14 March 2011 at 8:08 pm Permalink

Holy moly, I go to Vivre all the time!! It's insane to see damage to somewhere I know by heart…

3. Mr.S. 14 March 2011 at 8:57 pm Permalink

Glad to hear about people who are safe. Weird though: there was almost no damage in Tokyo Koto-ku (work), or Katsushika-ku (home), or the 12km between them that I walked on Friday night. On the other hand, besides the north, there was damage in Chiba (other job) and where you are (Yokohama?). Are you near the bay? I am thinking this is a 'reclaimed land' issue. Don't know how anyone can think of putting a mortgage on any land in this country?

• Locohama 14 March 2011 at 9:01 pm Permalink

Yeah, I think you're right. It was either cheaply done or land fill. I think the former. I heard some of the landfill which makes up a good portion Minato Mirai suffered a similar fate but I haven't seen the pics yet. thanks for the shout Mr S.

• Mr.S. 14 March 2011 at 10:39 pm Permalink

The ground quality makes as much difference as the building. I was here during '95, watching the Kobe earthquake from Saitama: about the only time I was glad to be in Saitama. All of the 'reclaimed land' along the harbour had 'subsidence' due to 'liquefaction': two words this Torontonian never had to understand before. If there's one country you want people to consider these words in a literal, not metaphorical sense:

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."
        – Matthew 7:24-27

My wife and child were tossed about in the eighth floor of our building, but unharmed along with the building, because it's on decent ground 10km from Tokyo Bay. I found the earthquake unexceptional, but I was on the third floor of a post-earthquake code building near Kiyosumi-Shirakawa Stationn, which is not on 'reclaimed land'. Well, in fact most of Kanto is reclaimed land. It was all swamp before Mr. Tokugawa got his bright idea.

4. Cedric Domani 15 March 2011 at 8:21 am Permalink

I'm glad you're ok brother. Please be safe.

5. Locohama 15 March 2011 at 9:32 am Permalink

@isettaflower Thanks!
    @cedric Thanks man

6. Debbie Crawford 23 March 2011 at 8:48 pm Permalink

Dear Loko,
    I have a young friend in Yokohama. He's a former student from an international schoo in Germany where I was teachingl. He doesn't speak a lot of English, but in an email Le said earthquake is coming 4x per day and electricity off 1x per day. Dies that mean you are still having aftershocks? I'm in Boston and it's hard to find out what's going on over there. Cn you give me a little more info?
    I'd appreciate it. My email address is fraucrawford@gmail.com.
    Thanks,
    Debbie

7. Exotic Japan 24 March 2011 at 7:09 pm Permalink

I got the Sam pics of there early this week, but yours show it better 🙂