22 May 2011 ~ 12 Comments

Tweet-up at a Maid Cafe in Akihabara

So I got invited to a Tweet-up in Akihabara Friday night, at a bar called the Granvania, and had a blast!

In attendance were: @hikosaemon @elmfruit @remino +friend (can’t remember her name) @kimiecat @silverstar22b @stevenagata @barryintokyo

It was my first Tweet-up and I was a bit nervous, but after a couple rounds of suds it was all good. And the very cute waitresses, all dressed up as Maids saying very nice things and smiling profusely didn’t hurt at all!

Thanks guys for making first experience a great one!!!

Here are some pics from this event.

What the world has come to!

What the world has come to!

Pics of staff were prohibited but I shot this one b4 they told me so

More pics to follow…time to go play ball!

Thanks a lot. Big shout out to Frank (far right) for the invite!!!

終り

Who the hell is this Cat, Loco, anyway? Click here!

12 Responses to “Tweet-up at a Maid Cafe in Akihabara”

1. AshleyA 22 May 2011 at 4:41 pm Permalink

If you don't have permission to post the picture of the maid… why is it on here? XD I'm all for candid shots but still man 🙂
    Otherwise love what you've been putting up recently. Cheers.

• Locohama 22 May 2011 at 10:09 pm Permalink

Hey Ashley, thanks for the shout!
      Yeah, pics were prohibited but no discussion of posting. I think it was because if they took pics they'd never get any work done, always posing and what not. with all the crazy Otakus out there. anyway, glad you've enjoyed my post "recently" lol Maybe I'll mosaic her face a little.

• AshleyA 23 May 2011 at 8:10 am Permalink

Well, part of the problem is that they usually charge money for posing for pictures. Not posting the pictures might just be common sense since you're not allowed to take them in the first place 😉

Also, though you are snarky about my use of "recently" I'll let it slide XD

• Locohama 23 May 2011 at 9:59 am Permalink

These maids weren't charging. They just weren't down for the photo session. Neither were the ones on the streets I approached about a pic after the Tweet up )-: And I was willing to pay a reasonable fee…
          Anyway I stuck a big fat star on her face in the photo.
          And we all know Common sense is not universal. Especially if you live here lol  So, i take nothing for granted anymore.
          Yeah, I'm a snarky one, whatever that means…Your comment was like telling someone "Wow you look nice today!"  deshou? Worth a little snark I think.(-;

2. Eddie 23 May 2011 at 8:55 pm Permalink

Looks like fun! That food looks so good lol.

3. Verity Veritas 24 May 2011 at 2:42 pm Permalink

Hey Loco! Looks like it was a good time! I especially like that pic where everyone is on their smart phone hahaha. Probably all checking twitter yeah?

@ Ashley A: Sorry have to disagree that it’s common sense to think you can’t post a picture that *you* took on *your own personal* blog. If she saw the picture and contacted Loco to remove that’s one thing but we’re talking about picture on a personal blog, not the Japan Times or something. I dunno, I don’t see it as a big deal. I’m pretty sure it’s not illegal.

“Also, though you are snarky about my use of “recently” I’ll let it slide XD” <– this is the opposite of "letting it slide".

• AshleyA 25 May 2011 at 11:56 am Permalink

You're absolutely right that Loco has the prerogative to post pictures on his blog that he took himself… provided he has permission to post them. When did the maid give permission for her photo to be taken? Never. By extension, did she give him permission to post a picture that he took without her permission? Absolutely not. But according to you, it's okay to do something against someone's expressed wishes as long as they never find out that you did so?

And as a blog published on the internet he doesn't get a pass for posting things without permission just because an editor and a lawsuit aren't breathing down his neck.

And I did let it slide–after I acknowledged that I thought it was unnecessary I let it go until challenged again.

And by the way Loco, I did notice that you didn't publish my latest reply.

• Verity Veritas 25 May 2011 at 2:33 pm Permalink

Thanks for your response.

"it's okay to do something against someone's expressed wishes" no, but I don't think you can know that something is against someone's expressed wishes unless they tell you. Right now you are assuming you know what the maid is thinking.

Anyway my argument was not whether it was right or wrong, just that it wasn't a big deal. There are more important things to worry about. I'm not sure why you feel the need to play blog police and tell Loco what he should and shouldn't be posting. It really has nothing to do with you does it? If it does please enlighten me. Please tell me why you are so personally offended at the picture of a maid on Loco's blog? What if he had never said taking pictures wasn't allowed, or lied and said it was perfectly legit? Then we wouldn't even be having this convo right?

And I still think "acknowledging" the snark is not letting it slide. It's drawing attention to it.

• FuKnWitU 1 June 2011 at 12:22 pm Permalink

Holy shit….how the fuck did I miss THIS??

“. provided he has permission to post them. ”

If your doin something that you don’t want someone taking a picture of then maybe you should rethink whatever the fuck it is you are doing.  Is the rule to protect the girls? Are they doing something they don’t wanna be reminded of later?  That’s on them.

“And I did let it slide”

Mighty normal of you…considering it’s his blog and the shit that slides or not is probably HIS thing.

4. Locohama 25 May 2011 at 2:46 pm Permalink

Sorry…I'd missed this comment. I don't know why your comments keep automatically going to my spam folder…hmmmm… And you forgot the key word in your response. That being "recently."  Which universally causes the listener to think you're making a comparison. So, I assumed that you were a reader / lurker etc…comparing previous work with current work. But, you're right… I don't know who lurks and who is a first time opinionated visitor/commentor. A friend of mine says why attribute to malice what could easily be attributed to ignorance? I gotta remember that shit because my sensitivity tends to get me into nonsensical convos like these when I could have / should have ignored your "recently" because I know my stuff is consistently good and sometimes great and It shouldn't matter if you agree or not. So I apologize for assuming malice on your part. As for the photo business, I do appreciate your concern for the rights of photography subjects across the internet and i realize that this may be a sensitive area for you-for whattever reason- which is why I put the star on her face in the first place. For You! But, I've been taking and using photos of people without their permission for years and you're the first to even breathe concern for the subject's privacy. I honetly never even considered it an issue until now so I guess i have that to thank you for. I will be more conscientious in the future. You've done well! and thank you for reading Loco. And that concludes this conversation.

5. Anonymous 28 May 2011 at 9:08 am Permalink

This is gonna sound pretty lame since I've been here in Japan for a while now, but I've never actually been to a maid cafe.  Honestly, I've only walked around in Akihabara a little.  Of course I always go to the station because it's such a big JR train hub.  I've seen the ladies dressed in the French maid outfits, but that's about it.  What's your standard maid cafe like on the inside, Loco?

Oh and by the way, those pictures are REALLY making me hungry.

• Locohama 28 May 2011 at 9:17 am Permalink

Yep, that does sound lame lol!! Seriously, though, that was only my second time to a make cafe The first time was ay one of the tsundere style cafes which was BIG fun, once you get used to it. Here's a link to the post I wrote about the experience http://www.locoinyokohama.com/2010/05/07/jibun-de
      Thanks for the shout!