04 July 2011 ~ 20 Comments

A Love hotel Supreme…in Yokohama!

One of my favorite places in Yokohama is not a temple or a restaurant, though there are many of note. My favorite area is actually in Shin-Yokohama. The ramen museum is there, but it’s not the ramen that draws me. You can find me on the basketball court there all summer as well, but that’s the my major draw, either.

Nope. (cue Coltrane) You might want to listen while you dig this!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=558bTG0D-xg&feature=fvwrel

Shin-Yokohama also has a respectably sized Love Hotel district (Nothing compared to Shibuya or Shinjuku, but a wider selection than many other areas) on the far side of the Yokohama line tracks. Once you cross beneath the train tracks you’ll find yourself in the midst of a number of love hotels.

I can’t do a comparison for you. Why? Because I haven’t stayed at any other Love hotel in this area. Frankly, I couldn’t imagine any of them living up to The Scene Hotel.

I’m serious and you’ll see why in a moment.

The first time I went there a few years ago was my first visit to this love hotel area, and I had chosen it randomly, based purely on availability and convenience at the time. I had stayed at a number of Love Hotels by that time but, upon walking in the door, I was stunned at the understated opulence. I just knew it wasn’t a typical Love Hotel and had to be well out of my price range.

But, it wasn’t.

Each floor has a different theme and all of the rooms were designed by renowned designers of some note (peep the link above for specifics…if you can read Japanese, that is)

Pause.

First of all, if you’ve never stayed at a love hotel, it’s going to be difficult for you to relate to this. Words like “designed by” are not even a consideration at your run of the mill ラブホ. Most of the better ones look like they were designed by Hello Kitty herself, some reject Atlantic City pre-fab casino hotel developer or some hentai otaku on Meth.

The others are just overated motel rooms.

I think to properly give “The Scene” its just due I would have to compare it to regular hotel rooms, so as to rid your minds of the image the words love hotel conjure. Aside from its location and designation, there’s absolutely nothing even remotely dodgy about this place. It’s in a class by itself, somewhere between a 5-star hotel at a resort and a spa.

But I’ll let the website above and the pics below speak for themselves:

Exterior

Entrance

Lobby

discreet reservation system

Point Card Prizes

discreet waiting area (with phone, candies, magazines, etc...)

And now for the room…

Massage Chair

Bedroom

Livingroom

A little Pulp Fiction “…and you will know, my name is the lord!” (-:

Whirlpool tub with HDTV

Projection TV...and a friendly game of baseball

I don’t know what else I can say about The Scene aside from it is ALLDAT! And, any time I need a break (that won’t break me..believe it or not, with all its amenities and plushness it’s priced extremely reasonably) I’ll be back!
This post is submitted to the J-festa inaugural July 2011 blog festival over atJapingu. This month’s theme is “Places in Japan” and The Scene ranks among the best IMHO!

Who is Loco?

20 Responses to “A Love hotel Supreme…in Yokohama!”

1. Keith Morrell 4 July 2011 at 8:11 pm Permalink

Nice post about Love Hotels, i’ve never stayed in one but I knew about the ones in Shibuya. I stayed in Shin Yokohama, but never knew that much about the area.

2. Kitsune 4 July 2011 at 8:57 pm Permalink

Awesome post! I’ll have to definitely take the hubs there for a special night out.

3. Chris B 4 July 2011 at 9:11 pm Permalink

Love Hotel is the theme :)
    The best one round here is not all that expensive. The mid level to shit ones are pretty similar so it’s worth the extra coin to live large :)

4. kathryn 4 July 2011 at 10:13 pm Permalink

I’m not sure I want classy in a love hotel. I’m also not sure I want one of those fancy TV sets showing sports either — that’s a lot for a woman to compete with!

5. Biggie 4 July 2011 at 11:51 pm Permalink

The Trane…. oh man, do I love that piece!

6. Will 5 July 2011 at 12:32 pm Permalink

Just had to take a look this morning.

“Most of the better ones look like they were designed by Hello Kitty herself, some reject Atlantic City pre-fab casino hotel developer or some hentai otaku on Meth.” That got me laughing so hard I started coughing (while hoping it isn’t tuberculosis).

Then, the Pulp Fiction pic and I was rolling.

Love hotels are one of the redeeming qualities of this place. Always something to look forward to.

7. Jamaipanese 6 July 2011 at 4:55 am Permalink

if visitors plan to stay at one of these for a couple hours, is knowing Japanese a requirement?

• Locohama 6 July 2011 at 7:14 am Permalink

Probably not. I would be helpful though. Then again I always was with a Japanese girl when I went so I kinda took things for granted. Thanks for the shout yo!

8. Rie in Osaka 9 July 2011 at 9:09 am Permalink

I don’t think it’s appropriate to post pictures of schoolchildren you teach and love hotels on the same web site. Please use some common sense!

• Locohama 9 July 2011 at 9:50 am Permalink

Oh geez! Rie, please get a grip! Take a deep breath and put the bible prozac down. It’s a hotel where people, like their parents,have sex. A classy one at that. Big deal Lighten up

• thesoulofjapan 27 July 2011 at 2:44 pm Permalink

Yeah, Rie, That’s good advice. Lay off the meds. Sex is natural and children need to be exposed at an early age so that they don’t turn out like prudes. That’s really the problem now today. Wouldn’t you say!? Nice post Loco on something we can both agree on.

9. Alex T 11 July 2011 at 3:37 am Permalink

oh man! thank you so much for posting this! I love Love hotels so much, but it always feels like there are so many hidden gems that aren’t talked about enough on the internet. I really love the kitchsy/interesting/themed ones, but I appreciate anything with style that has something unique about it. MAN that shit is CLASSY!

10. Rick 11 July 2011 at 10:04 am Permalink

Thanks for the heads up on this place. The wife and I will definitely check it out on our next trip..

This is my first comment but I really do enjoy your blog. Keep it up man.

11. lina 24 July 2011 at 5:17 pm Permalink

I so need to check this place out! :)

12. Locohama 27 July 2011 at 3:22 pm Permalink

Yeah, and tell em Loco sent you! lol Maybe I’ll get a complimentary room sometimes (-;

13. Yokahama boyz 6 October 2012 at 12:48 pm Permalink