10 November 2011 ~ 20 Comments

Yellow People

The following conversation happened at a café in Yokohama

Friend: You’re having fruit for dinner??

Me: Yeah, I love fruit…

Friend: Do all black people like fruit?

Me:  Do, what? What kinda….? I don’t know. I guess so… Do all Yellow People like rice?

Friend: Yellow People?

She looked at her skin like it was first time she’d ever seen it and scratched her head.

Who is this guy, Loco, anyway? Click here!

PS: Wanna chance to win a Kindle WiFi from Loco? I bet you do! Peep the rules here: How To Leave This World Better Than You Inherited It

20 Responses to “Yellow People”

1. ferret 10 November 2011 at 5:51 pm Permalink

Isn’t the “profile” a liking for watermelon and fried chicken?
    One of my friends of Italian ancestry hates pasta!
    Also I rarely eat meat pies and tomato sauce – the stereotype meal of Aussies!

• Locohama 10 November 2011 at 5:55 pm Permalink

Who doesn’t like watermelon and fried chicken?

2. kamo 10 November 2011 at 6:03 pm Permalink

I’d been in Japan for about two weeks. I’d just been to a meet-and-greet and a few of us had headed back to the station together. There was some kind of festival and a ton of stalls, so I turned to my new Japanese-American friend and asked (well, shouted, she was a few feet away) the obvious question –

“Hey, Yoko, what’s with all the yellow people?”

It was only the look of horror on her face which made me realise she didn’t get I was asking about the identical promotional t-shirts everyone was wearing…

• Locohama 10 November 2011 at 6:12 pm Permalink

LMAO!! Thanks for the laugh Kamo!

3. kamo 10 November 2011 at 6:24 pm Permalink

Yeah, in retrospect I could have chosen my words more carefully. I haven’t learned.

4. kathryn 10 November 2011 at 11:07 pm Permalink

Seriously, the first time I saw an Asian I was so disappointed. I thought they’d be really yellow! Well I was just a kid.

• Locohama 11 November 2011 at 3:23 pm Permalink

LOL! I thought whites were really white..I told my mother when I was a kid, “Mommy, they’re pink!”

• redlandcannibal 19 January 2012 at 1:33 pm Permalink

I’m Japanese-American and grew up in a white neighborhood. The first time someone told me I was yellow, I was just genuinely confused, since I thought that meant I was like a Simpsons character or something. And how awesome would THAT be, amirite?

5. Blue Shoe 10 November 2011 at 11:21 pm Permalink

Classic!

6. dochimichi1 11 November 2011 at 12:28 am Permalink

Haha.
    Unfortunately, in my experience, when people ask you a stupid question, and you return with symmetrically stupid question/answer, they never get the sarcasm. Never. Must be some kind of law of nature!
    So what was her answer to that, after all?
    ;)

• Rose 9 January 2012 at 5:18 am Permalink

Sarcasm does not play well in Japan, I’ve found. Though I do have a few snappy comebacks for the inevitable “Why do you speak Japanese so well?!” line of questioning.

• Locohama 9 January 2012 at 9:25 am Permalink

Hey Rose-san! Why do you speak Japanese so well???

7. Locohama 11 November 2011 at 3:22 pm Permalink

She never answered….I think the idea of her being a yellow person made her question an entire universe of concepts and ideas
    My work there was done(-;

8. Sarahf 11 November 2011 at 3:51 pm Permalink

Too funny! I wonder if she’s still pondering…

9. Will 11 November 2011 at 10:34 pm Permalink

I was wondering how long it would take before someone made a reference to “Rapper’s Delight”…so I figure I’d just do it myself,”To the black, to the white, the red, and the brown, the purple and yellow.”

Wait a minute! (Needle gets drug across the record).

Loco was having fruit for dinner?! I kind of want to ask if that’s like a “metro kind of thing”, but I’m afraid I’d get taken down a notch or two with some kind of ‘rural’ reference that would totally go over my head.

• Locohama 12 November 2011 at 11:23 am Permalink

I seriously doubt I could go way over your head yo!! And Loco has put on a bit of weight during this editing crucible so I need to supplement Yoshinoya and Bentos with something healthy sometimes. (-;
      Thanks for the shout!!

10. David LaSpina 12 November 2011 at 1:41 pm Permalink

So kind of related…

Have you noticed that whenever a Chinese person is on a poster or in print they are colored yellow, but Japanese people are usually colored white, or pale?

My frank wife told me, simply, “It’s because we hate Chinese people and see them as different from us.” Ah…

• Locohama 12 November 2011 at 3:40 pm Permalink

That’s deep brother! I hadn’t noticed that! Wow! Give the frank Mrs a shout out from me!