27 July 2012 ~ 20 Comments

How Did I Get A Million Hits On My Blog???

With all the recent excitement over my book (reaching #1 on Amazon, the Japan Today and BlackNews.com mentions, etc…) and with the few BIG things I got coming up, believe it or not, this benchmark moment almost passed by without being acknowledged.

I can imagine how parents feel; it’s almost like having a second child and being so excited over its arrival in the world that you forget your first child’s birthday.

Well, luckily I’ve come to my senses in time to announce that after 3 and a half years of opening my mind, heart and a vein or two on this blog, my first brainchild, Loco in Yokohama, as of some time tomorrow, will be the recipient of his one millionth hit!

It’s been a long time coming…

…and a change has come! Several actually, not least of which is the change in title (and status) from blogger to author.

Quick anecdote: I was leaving a meeting the other day with a bunch of my co-workers, kicking it with my boy, Baltimore, when one of my co-workers suddenly and excitedly blurted, “You’re Loco!”

“I’m sorry?”

“It’s you!” she snapped. “Oh my god! You’re Loco in Yokohama!”

“Yeaaaaaaaah…” I replied, hesitantly. Three years of blogging about, living and working in Yokohama, without a secret identity to speak of aside from the alias, and with mad photos of myself floating around the net, and she was the first non-black person to have recognized me as such.

“I can’t believe it!” she practically shouted. All my other co-workers, standing around discussing which Happy Hour was going to get our dollars, stopped yapping and stared at this exchange with WTF expressions on their faces. For her super spastic giddiness was not unlike something out of Beatlemania.

“I’ve been reading your blog for years and I bought your book! It was great! I loved it! Oh My God I can’t believe this! It’s really you!”

This went on for a minute or so. All mouths dropped when she asked for an autograph. I rolled with it as much as one can roll with their first time being hit up for an autograph on the street! She’d bought the e-book so I told her about Kindlegraph, and via that I’d be happy to sign her E-book.

“Can you sign my notebook?”

“Sure…”

She held it out for me and I stood there, in the spotlight of 10 pairs of eyes, trying to think of what to write.

Then another co-worker said, “oh yeah, Loco! I know Hikosaemon and he said all these great things about you…and I read that review he wrote of your book…sounds amazing, man! I haven’t read it yet, though.”

And yet another co-worker who had been standing there, says, “Oh yeah, I’ve read your blog! And I read an interview on Surviving in Japan with you and Ashley, talking about your book!”

By this time, as you might imagine, I was emotionally fluctuating between “you da fucking man, Loco” and wigging out, but hid it well…at least I think I did.

Later, at the bar, my boy told me, “your stock just went up, yo!”

I think it was about then I remembered that Loco in Yokohama was approaching a million hits, and the pieces fell into place…as the number 1,000,000 revealed itself to me in its fullest glory.

It’s a kick-ass number…

I remembered back when I was the only one who knew my stock was underrated. Well, kinda knew…you know? I mean, I could always write. The problem was my voice was locked inside of me, and I was too chickenshit to let it out. But the only way I was going to raise my stock price to reflect what i believed to be its real value was by being myself, the same way Dorothy could have always gone back to Kansas  (yep, it’s one of those clichés you hear all the time and you dismiss until one day you realize the reason it became hackneyed: because it’s true!)

So, to answer the question above: How did I get a million hits on my blog? The same way any of you can. It was by doing the most difficult and yet the most simplistic and natural thing: By being true to myself.

And I want to thank all of you guys for letting me do so, out loud, here on Loco in Yokohama.

I dedicate this tune to all of you:

Peace and Love,

PS: A big shout out to my spastic new friend, SK! (you know who you are) Thank you so much for introducing me to a thrill I’ve never felt before…particularly with your follow-up email! I still don’t even have a name for it, but it felt great (-;

20 Responses to “How Did I Get A Million Hits On My Blog???”

1. Orchid64 27 July 2012 at 8:08 am Permalink

I’m so happy for you, Loco. You deserve it, and more. I’m pulling for your success ball to keep rolling along, getting bigger, and gaining speed.

• Locohama 27 July 2012 at 6:07 pm Permalink

Orchid, darling, I swear to god, I just had this vision of me signing books in Dokodoko USA and you and your husband stroll up to the table and I kinda look up, and it takes a moment of you just standing there smiling before me, at the head of this long line of folks waiting for their moment with Lococ, before I realize, “Oh Shit! Orchid!” And I try to calmly walk around the table (it aint easy cuz I’m nervous) to give you a big hug and your hubby gets one too for cherishing you. And everyone waiting on this line, watching this, wondering who is this woman, will just have to wait and wonder.
      In other words, thank you!

2. Benjamin Martin 27 July 2012 at 10:39 am Permalink

Congratulations on the huge blog success and of course for the great work on Loco! It has to be encouraging that you’ve hit that critical mark where people are learning about your work through sources other than the ones you create. I look forward to reading more from Loco

• Locohama 27 July 2012 at 6:09 pm Permalink

Thanks, Benjamin! Much obliged! I’m on it…just promo and publicity stuff keeps me busy and distracts me from book two

3. Japan Australia 27 July 2012 at 10:42 am Permalink

Congratulations Loco, You deserve it and have put in a lot of hard work and serious dedication. I hope that I too can one day achieve this fantastic goal.

• Locohama 27 July 2012 at 6:16 pm Permalink

Thanks JA! and don’t worry you will…in this day and age it aint even that much of a abig deal any more. One viral story and you’ll be looking at that number in no time. Hell, in three years I’ve had only 1 halfassed viral story, and I mean half-assed. like 25000 hits or so. And that was recently. Don’t sweat the numbers. Sweat the content. That’s all that’s important. That you are accomplishing what you set out to do (unless of course if your goal, in the first place, was to have crazy numbers lol. For real. This is the stated goal of some blogs. The readership numbers / visitor count are more imporant than the readers / visitors)Anyway, no more sermonizing. Thanks for the props!

4. Billie 27 July 2012 at 12:07 pm Permalink

Grats!

5. Harvey 27 July 2012 at 3:49 pm Permalink

Such a cool story! I think you’ll have many more minutes of fame coming!

• Locohama 27 July 2012 at 6:20 pm Permalink

Thanks Harvey, it was a cool story, wasn’t it? And I think you’re right…at least I hope you are…no, I believe you are. Goddamn it Youre right!! (-;

Don’t mind me. I get superstitious sometimes. Think that confidence is a bad news magnet. Like bad news needs a magnet, right? LMAO

6. Tonya R. Moore 27 July 2012 at 3:52 pm Permalink

Congrats Loco,
    This is your earnest effort paying off.
    Well done!

• Locohama 27 July 2012 at 6:24 pm Permalink

Hey Tonya! Thanks boo! We (meaning you and I) indies gotta do what we gotta do. We gotta work 10 times as hard as the big boys, with 1000 times less money (at least in my case) with a fairly unpolished product sometimes. Welcome to the underground. But at the same time, I think that that’s a beefit we have to cultivate. We don’t have the stench (I say because I don’t corp dollars lining my pockets) of corporate sanitizing all over our work. Pages smell like Cloroox lol Anyway, we gotta kick it some time and do some cross promotional stuff, if you’re down. Let me know, cuz I think you7re the bomb as you know!

7. Haikugirl 27 July 2012 at 7:17 pm Permalink

Congrats on the 1,000,000 hits, Loco! You deserve all the attention you’re getting. I’m still only just over half-way through your book but I’m hooked and wish I could just take a few days off work to finish it. ;)

• Locohama 27 July 2012 at 7:40 pm Permalink

Hey Ali! Thanks love, and I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I’ll be waiting (-;

8. Ashley 27 July 2012 at 9:42 pm Permalink

Yay! Happy for ya! (And how funny people randomly read my blog – that always makes me happy to hear too haha). Also congrats on the Japan Today (and others) mention! Hope that continues…

• Locohama 28 July 2012 at 12:45 am Permalink

Thanks Ashley darling! Yeah, People ate definitely reading blogs out there. Sometimes i wonder if it was just a ad thats fading away. But. Nah. Blogging is her to stay. And I hope it continues too (-:

9. redlandcannibal 31 July 2012 at 9:23 am Permalink

AWESOME!! This spastic weirdo got a mention on Loco’s blog!!

I still have your autograph. It’s sitting in my notebook full of my journaling and goals and dreams. It’s only fitting that my hero gets a spot in there!

• Locohama 31 July 2012 at 12:01 pm Permalink

(-; thanks again, SK! I don;t know how comfortable I am with being anyone’s hero. I’m just a writer trying to tell stories that move people and hopefully inspire people to believe that anything is possible. If I’ve accomplished that then I’m happy.

10. freedomwv 1 August 2012 at 2:01 am Permalink

It must have been a really strange feeling to be noticed like that. Happened to me once but not cuz of my blog but due to some videos I uploaded to Youtube. It was an odd feeling, and a little embarrassing, cuz it happened right in front of some of my friends. The good part of it was that I made a new friend due to being noticed. Although, I have no where near the street cred you do. Keep writing!

• Locohama 1 August 2012 at 1:08 pm Permalink