31 January 2013 ~ 6 Comments

Conversations 2013 #2: I’m On My Knees…Pretty Pretty Please….

After my 12th session of testing the 1st year students today (still four more to go) repeating the same oddly worded questions and receiving much the same responses well over 300 times this week, as I descended the stairs back to the office I began humming then singing a very comforting and uplifting song that gets me through times like these.

I was still singing it as I entered the teacher’s office, where upon the following conversation took place:

Co-Worker: (In Japanese) What’s that you’re singing?

Me: (smiling) Oh nothing. Just a song I sing to get me through the rough patches.

Co-Worker: It sounds familiar…?

Me: It’s from a movie called “The Wedding Singer”. Have you seen it?

Co-Worker: never heard of it. Maybe it has a different title in Japanese.

Me: Probably.

CW: Who is the singer?

Me: Do you know Adam Sandler?

tumblr_lli6elKmUS1qaw5dto1_500

CW: Yes! He is a singer, too?

Me: Sometimes he sings funny songs.

CW: I see…what’s it called?

Me: Somebody Kill Me Please…

CW: (In English) Pardon???

(I start singing at a low volume but other teachers were tuning in…even the principal’s radar rises…)

Me: …somebody kill me please…I’m on my knees, pretty, pretty please kill me…I want to dieeeeeeee! Put a bullet in my head!

CW: Ehhhhh! What does it mean?

One of the Japanese English teachers starts giggling and explains the words…for the whole damn office!

Great.

Everybody has a laugh…the teacher who had asked originally pats me on the shoulder.

CW: Please teach me that song!

Me: Sure, no problem

PS: If you haven’t read Hi! My Name is Loco and I am a Racist yet, what are you waiting for? A personal invitation? Check it out! It’s available in paperback and E-book version here.

6 Responses to “Conversations 2013 #2: I’m On My Knees…Pretty Pretty Please….”

1. Dochimichi1 31 January 2013 at 7:54 pm Permalink

hahaha, excellent, I’m gonna be humming this all day now ))

• Locohama 31 January 2013 at 8:58 pm Permalink

Yeah, it’s really addictive…and all-purpose (-;

2. Lilacwoods 1 February 2013 at 1:16 am Permalink

Hi mister Loco,

I have to say that this is my first post on your blog after reading many of your entries throughout your years in Japan. As this is the second all inclusive blog of a gaijin (can that be said as a compliment?) in japan I have read through, I am very impressed with your honesty and humbled by your experience. Though not relevant to the post you have published, is there any way that you could give your opinions on what a trip to japan would be like for an American brown skinned young woman? I know it may be difficult to answer as many of your experiences have been through a brown skinned male perspective, but I implore you as someone who is keen on social observations and intuition in Japan at this moment. And, as an American brown skinned man.

• Locohama 1 February 2013 at 1:48 am Permalink

Well…I can point you in the right direction. My brown skinned homegirl at http://www.whoaiminjapan.com gives just what youre looking for and then some. I can’t really help you. All I would tell you is don’t come to Asia…unless it’s just for vacation, but That site i recommended will give you much more to work with.
      Thanks for peeping my work and giving me a shout! Much obliged!

3. Chris 1 February 2013 at 1:16 am Permalink

If there is anything similar in Japanese pop or music I’m sure you mighta heard some ojisans humming it under their breath. ;)

• Locohama 1 February 2013 at 1:54 am Permalink

There’s gotta be! I asked him was there and he looked at me like I had to be kidding lol thanks for the shout yo