First a couple of videos people have shot showing this phenomenon.
However, I don’t think pulling a number like 99% out of the air (unless she did some kind of extensive research and surveying I’m not aware of) is serving her argument at all. That kind of hyperbole pretty much null and voids everything she says after that. But, unfortunately for her, and her supporters, this number is at the crux of her position, her belief system revolves around this arbitrary number, otherwise I don’t think she would have stated it at the beginning of her case, like it’s something the viewer should carry in their mind as they absorb all the conclusions she drew and apologist’ positions she holds based on this mysterious 99%.
And what does this fictitious number say about that bit of compassion and sympathy she began with? You know, the “My condolences to people who actually have truly experienced racism on the transportation system…” If you subtract her 99% from 100% of all visible minorities in Japan then you’re left with 1%, right? And THAT’S the only real number here.
Her condolences go out to 1% of the people who experience this because the other 99% are, as she says, self-paranoid, etc.
I have a feeling most of the people who thumbed her opinion up (and it is an opinion) probably accepted her “data” without even blinking. Which is pretty spooky. So, since she nullified her own argument by fabricating a number and presenting it like it were a hard number, I’m gonna move on to the next
Summation: “Embrace the Gaijin Seat, Don’t get offended.”
I bet this guy would have told Rosa Parks: “Now why the hell would you want to sit next to people who clearly don’t want to sit next to you? Hell, go sit with your own people…you’ll be more comfortable, trust me, and so will they. Everybody’s happy!”
Mild exaggeration, but then again, as he says, he’s not African-American, so who knows how he’d approach full-on segregation and discrimination. Based on this video, I really have no idea. There certainly were some African-Americans in favor of this approach (read: Booker T. Washington) and quite a few who were in favor of full separation of the races (Louis Farrakhan, Elijah Muhammad, Marcus Garvey, etc…)
Also, he supplied, as most people coping with this foolishness do, the ultimate coping mechanism for the empty seat: “You really shouldn’t concern yourself with this. You should really embrace the fact that you’re getting a little elbow room on a crowded train.”
I like that he, too, finds it problematic to assume that racism is a factor. On that, he is totally correct! It may or may not be a factor, impossible to know for sure.
I don’t like that he feels essentially EVERY other reason for doing so, no matter what, is acceptable, including ignorant presumptions about your tendencies.
And he encourages foreigners to blame themselves for this!
You’re Fat, you’re Sweaty, you look Sleepy, you look angry, you look unhappy, etc…
He also suggested that if you “look like you’re gonna rob them” no one will sit next you…but I think he was joking…or at least trying to diffuse an issue he’s had to deal with by using humor.
But, I give him credit, for at least he had a sense of humor about it…and humor can certainly make the intolerable tolerable.
Anyway, if you’ve read my book, or my blog for that matter, you know my stance, but I thought I’d share with you guys what a couple of my fellow foreigners here think about it.
And now for some intentionally silly stuff (-;
Funny right? (-;